Saturday, May 18, 2013

POOL PARTY PLANNING: SWIMWEAR

___________________________________________________________________________________

Soo I'm having a pool party! My birthday has come and gone (May 9) but I haven't done anything for it yet because I'm waiting for my pool to open. It's scheduled to open on June 1st, which is supposed to be 27 degrees and quite hot. A bit cloudy, which concerns me, because if it rained it would be a disaster. But I can't worry about that now because I've been bathing suit shopping and have found a few gorgeous and notable pieces. All Canadian. 

The front-runner is Aqua di Laraa Montreal line founded in 2005 by psychology major Reyhan Sofraci. Her Dania swimsuit was profiled in this month's Lana Del Rey edition of FASHION magazine, and I immediately fell in love with the red and gold satin design. How beautiful is that?! Maybe a little much for your average pool party - and the tan lines are sure to be terrible - but it's worth it for something that gorgeous. It's classy and sophisticated while still exuding tons of sex appeal. The high waist and trim belt piece echo the classic swimwear of the 1950s and 60s, which I have long thought are far more flattering to women's bodies than the skimpy suits popular today. I'm not one for the bandeau look - I find it universally unflattering, squishing your breasts down and making your shoulders look like a rugby player. I much prefer the sweetheart neckline of this swimsuit and others like it, and I think the one-piece is strangely refreshing and almost more sexy than the suits that leave little to the imagination. (Also totally means you can do half the amount of sit-ups!!) 






In second place was Shan, a line also hailing from Montreal. Shan has a network spanning 25 countries and 500 distribution locations, having been around since 1985. Much older than Aqua di Lara, the line isn't quite as daring and the effect is positive. Aqua di Lara has one good piece for every ten trashy ones, that try too hard and come off tacky; Shan, on the other hand, plays it safer, and produces clean lines and ready-to-wear pieces as a result. I'm not a fan of their more daring looks - for instance, the purple one-piece with the ruffled skirt - but I appreciate the simpler ones for their quality and consistency.








No comments:

Post a Comment