Friday, May 17, 2013


HELLO

_________________________________________________________________________________


My name is Genevieve and I am a near-graduate living in the best city in the world: Toronto. I've gone to the University of Toronto for the last few years, where I studied Political Science and Journalism, and now I'm about to become another desperate graduate with a BA. I have very little clue what I want to be doing in the far-future and even less of a clue what I'll be doing in the near-future. Come September I will be a graduate embarking on either a terrifying new journey or an exciting one (depending on how you look at it). I'm trying to look at it positively and be excited about the many new things that might await. 

I'm starting a blog for a few reasons. Which I will list. Right now. 

No. 1:       
To keep track of my thoughts and ideas, and to catalogue things I like, because I often read a book/watch a movie/hear about something cool and promptly forget all about it. 

No. 2: 
To develop my writing and photography skills. I'm caught between creative careers in fashion, film, and writing, or between a career in foreign affairs/diplomacy/politics. So this blog will not be the typical fashion blog because only part of it is dedicated to that. Being able to look back at the end of the summer and see what I've focused on the most might help me decide which direction to take and what to pursue.

No. 3:
To motivate me to try many new things and have new experiences. Too often I let myself get bogged down in routines and patterns. Same daily schedule, same coffeeshop, same gym, same bar, same circles, same areas of Toronto. The pro is that you become a regular at certain places but the con is that you miss out on so many new things. I think having a personal blog will challenge me to open up my life to many different sorts of things. 

No. 4: 
To remember. I was just reading a TIME article about the millennial generation or the "Me, Me, Me" generation and how all of us are narcissistic beyond belief because of the internet age and social media and all that jazz. I'm working on a critical essay that thoroughly disagrees with this premise. I think our generation has been taught over and over again to "live in the moment" and to be thankful for what we have now. I think we are more aware than past generations of the fleetingness of life, growing up in the shadow of 9/11, with parents who lived through the nuclear era of the Cold War. With globalized news we are surrounded by atrocious things on the daily, and I think it is a fundamental urge to remember and to forget nothing that drives our picture-taking, daily-tweeting obsessions. We want to remember the thoughts we had today, what we wore last week, who we were with. How better to live in the moment than to capture it as it was and will forever be?

Happy reading xx

No comments:

Post a Comment