Sunday, May 19, 2013

ADRIANNE THE ATHLETE

____________________________________________________________________________________


\
 

 





Meet Adrianne Ho, the inspiration behind literally every workout I do. Every spinning class, every yoga pose, every 100m sprint, every sit-up, every weight lifted and muscle stretched. 

This woman is the epitome of mascufemme, a word I just made up right now. Mascfemme? Think like a lady, act like a man boss? Why do we have to physically eliminate traditional femininity in order to be cool, athletic, laid-back, chilled out? I don't really know exactly where I'm going with this, and maybe I'll be really embarrassed when I read this over tomorrow and delete all of it and just leave you with pretty pictures to admire/hate/envy/love.

I just think women would do well to embrace the aspects of our personalities we often minimize or ignore. The tough, competitive, aggressive, so-called "masculine" side of our personalities should be embraced with vigor rather than nervously blindsided in favor of classic femininity. I think about these things a lot. I don't really feel as girly as many girls I know. I never have. I much prefer sneakers to heels and men's sweaters to curve-hugging tank tops. I have maybe two shades of nail polish, both of which I bought last week on a whim. So I appreciate women like this one.

Ford model Adrianne Ho is the perfect mix of feminine beauty and athletic determination. She can be soft and feminine in florals and corals and jewelry, but she embraces a tomboy edge that I think is important for young women to know can be flaunted and loved without relegating her butch, or dyke-y, or masculine. She's just a girl, who loves to run, who loves the gym, who loves pushing her body to its physical limits. To me, this is what Dove Beauty Campaigns are sorely missing. When I look at the women in Dove "Real Beauty" campaigns, I do not necessarily see a "healthy" body image. I see the point of it, obviously, and in a sense I commend them, but in a sense I don't understand why the media can't seem to find a middle ground. A woman can be neither rail thin nor Pillsbury doughboy puffy - she can, in fact, be toned and athletic and absolutely healthy

(PS: I totally call dibs on trying out the blue bandana ascot scarf thing.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment