Sunday, May 19, 2013

THE WEEKND X KISS LAND

___________________________________________________________________________________




Excited to hear from Abel Tesfaye again. Have been a fan of his since the beginning, and knocked House of Balloons until it literally looped in my brain even when I was asleep. Thursday was a disappointment for me, and though Echoes of Silence recovered some ground, neither compared to the initial monster that was House of Balloons. This track shows promise. I'm cautiously optimistic for his forthcoming studio debut, scheduled for release sometime later this year. Some might argue that the title track is simply a return to the dark and moody texture of HoB, and reinforces those who have labeled Tesfaye a one-trick pony. I disagree. I fear that Tesfaye is one of the brilliant but tortured artist types who needs darkness to thrive creatively and artistically. My theory is that Thursday and EoS lacked in soul and depth because Tesfaye was - can I say it? - happy. Or at least, happier. He was riding around with Drake, touring and receiving all the glory and attention he'd worked for, and it caused his work to suffer. If the rumours surrounding Tesfaye's fallout with Drake are true, then, it means Kiss Land will be a return to the darkness Tesfaye flourishes in. I fear that he rocketed to prominence so quickly that he will leave us with a handful of incredible albums before disappearing into a drug-fuelled spiral of self-destruction. I fear that he'll burn out, and it is evident that he struggles with the same vein of fear. But it is that exact fear that motivates his best work, the double-edged sword in the back of any great artist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment